William Windeatt was born about 1824 in Devonshire, England, the second son of John Windeatt (1791-1867) and Ann (1799-1880). The family arrived in the Swan River settlement (Western Australia) in 1829 when William was about five years old. They sailed to Hobart on the Eagle in Jun 1831 and later moved to Launceston where John Windeatt was appointed to a position at the Female Factory in Jun 1836.
William was educated by Rev. W A Giblin at his school in High Street. He entered the Launceston branch of the Post Office Department as a junior clerk in 1841 when the post office was situated in George Street. On 1 Jan 1861 he was appointed postmaster and six months later moved to the post office situated in the new public buildings at the corner of St John and Paterson streets. From 12 Jan 1891 the new post office at the corner of St John and Cameron Streets was opened to the public. William continued to work there until his retirement in Jun 1893, having served 'faithfully and well for about 52 years'. In his youth he was a successful rower.
On 15 Jul 1854, at the age of 27, William married 21-year-old Emma Watlin (1832-1900) at St John's Church, Launceston. They had three children, but the first born, William, died in infancy. The other two, Emma and Philip, are also in the Family Album. William died on 10 Dec 1896 aged 72 at his residence 11 Welman Street. He was buried in the Cypress Street Cemetery. See The Examiner 17 Jun 2006, p.37.