William George Wilkinson was born in Launceston on 4 Sep 1849 to William James Wilkinson (c.1819-1883), a waterman, and his wife Sarah Upton. He had three younger sisters. William Wilkinson junior married Caroline Morris on 18 Mar 1874. William established his printing business, W G Wilkinson, at 63 Paterson Street, Launceston in 1887. The business built up a good name for the quality of the work produced in all aspects of printing, publishing and bookbinding. It started in a one-storey building, but in 1895 it became necessary to erect a three-storey building on the corner of Paterson and Charles Streets.
William retired in 1914 when his son Herbert took over. His wife and seven sons all had passports to the Tasmanian Exhibition in 1891-92. William was an eminent Freemason of the Grand Lodge. He died on 23 Aug 1919 aged 69 and was buried at the Cypress Street Cemetery. The Wilkinson family lived at 'Ingleside', now 37 Elphin Road. The number changed from 35 to 37 in 1915. See The Examiner 14 April 2007, page 42.