William Morris Wilkinson was born in 1874, the eldest of seven sons of William George Wilkinson (1849-1919) and his wife Caroline Morris (1850-1935). William junior served his apprenticeship in his father's printing business, W G Wilkinson, at 63 Paterson Street, Launceston. He spent a number of years in New Zealand before being employed by The Examiner newspaper from 1903 until 1925, first as a compositer and later as foreman of the job composing department. In 1925 he returned to the family printing business as the proprietor until his retirement in 1938.
William married Maggie Pinnington in Launceston on 6 Feb 1905. Their daughter Nancy was born 11 Jun 1908 and Joan 12 May 1914. In his youth William was an enthusiastic member of the Tamar Rowing Club. He was a member of St Andrew Lewis Lodge, the Anzac Hostel and the Working Men's Club. William and Maggie resided at 11 Abbott Street for many years. William died suddenly on 21 Sep 1942 and was interred privately at Carr Villa. His wife Maggie died 22 Aug 1947. See The Examiner 14 Apr 2007, page 42.