Osmond Mortimer Wigan was born at 'Wesley Dale', Chudleigh, on 10 Oct 1870, the fifth of seven children of farmer Arthur Wigan (1820-1872) and his wife Lydia Douglas (1840-1907). The family moved to Perth when he was a young boy.
Osmond married Gertrude Clarke in Launceston on 24 Jan 1899. Their four children were all born in Launceston between 1900 and 1905. Osmond was associated with primary industry for 70 years, first joining Bell & Co. and later Alfred Harrap & Son Pty Ltd and was with that firm for 50 years. He was manager of the fertiliser department for about 40 years until his retirement at the age of 84. He was a member of the Memorial Baptist Church, Wellington Street, Launceston, for more than 60 years and was local preacher for many years. He was an expert marksman and was keenly interested in game shooting.
Osmond died at his home, 63 Lyttleton Street, Launceston, on 31 Oct 1960 aged 90 and was buried in the Baptist Section F No 5 at Carr Villa. He was buried with his wife Gertrude who had died 24 years earlier on 13 Oct 1936.