Charles William Tasman Stuart was born on 5 Oct 1867 in the Fingal district, Tasmania. He was the fifth of six children born to John Lingwood Stuart (c.1824-1905) and Mary Rawson who were married at Rotherham, South Yorkshire, in Sep 1856. Before his marriage John Stuart kept diaries of his adventures between 1849 and 1853. These included a voyage from Gravesend to Adelaide on the Minerva, a sealing trip on the Jane and Emma and an overland journey from Adelaide to the Bendigo gold diggings.
At the time of the Tasmanian Exhibition in 1891 Charles Stuart was a gardener at Youngtown, on the outskirts of Launceston. Later, he was a cabinet-maker and venetian and holland blind manufacturer at 111 George Street. On 27 Apr 1895 he married Mary Jemima Perry in Launceston, according to the rites of the Presbyterian Church. They had three children: Mary Adelaide, born on 30 Jul 1895 at Evandale; Horace Tasman, 21 Nov 1896 at Longford and Elsie Emily Rawson, 15 Jan 1898 in Launceston. Charles died aged 76 on 4 Apr 1944. His wife Mary passed away aged 80 on 30 Aug 1955. They were buried together at Carr Villa in Section C9 No. 5. Their daughter Elsie, who died on 17 Oct 1976, is buried with them.