Thomas William Stanwix was born in Launceston on 31 Oct 1864, a son of Joseph Stanwix (c.1815-1887) and Catherine Callahan (c.1837-1915). He was christened at St Joseph's Catholic Church on 10 Sep 1865. Thomas retailed footwear and bicycles from his business premises on the corner of York and Charles Streets, Launceston.
Thomas married Mary Anne Barwick at St Michael's Church, Campbell Town, on 24 May 1900. Their children were: Margaret Mary Cather, born 15 Aug 1901; Thomas; Justin Eric, 22 Jul 1905; Audrey Josephine, 23 Sep 1907; Joan, 10 Jul 1909; twins Pauline & Kathleen, 18 Jan 1912; and another daughter, 19 Jan 1914. In 1908 Thomas built his new house 'Werona' at 33 Trevallyn Road.
Thomas was secretary of the Tamar Rowing Club. He died on 8 Oct 1931, aged 67. Mary Anne died on 11 Nov 1948. They are both buried at Carr Villa. 'Werona' was sold in 1994 after the death of his last surviving daughter Joan, and is now used for heritage bed and breakfast accommodation.