Elvira Mary Smith, known as Elvie, was born on 26 Nov 1867, the sixth child of Charles Henry Smith (1827-1904) and his wife Miriam Dowle (c.1828-1911). Elvie married New Zealand-born Septimus Nichols on 23 Jan 1895 at the Holy Trinity Church, Launceston, by Archdeacon Hales. Septimus was the fourth son of Charles Nichols, of Dunedin, formerly a partner in Du Croz Nichols in Launceston, and who might have worked with Elvira's father.
In 1897 the Nichols purchased the property 'Palmerston' at Cressy. They had three daughters: Mollie, Madge in 1897 and Nancy in 1899. Septimus died on 12 Nov 1950. Elvira died five years later on 11 Feb 1955 at the Toosey Memorial Hospital, Longford. Her ashes were interred with her husband at the Holy Trinity Church at Cressy. See The Examiner 12 May 2007, page 43.