Augustus Simson was born in London in 1836 to John and Jenny Simson. In 1863 he came to Australia and spent some time in North Queensland engaged in pastoral and mercantile pursuits before leaving for Tasmania in 1874. He was involved in tin mining and ore buying on the East Coast before starting a business in Launceston in 1879 purchasing and exporting wool and tin. Augustus became manager, local secretary and agent for a number of mines and was a founding member of the Launceston Stock Exchange in 1881. He was one of the original members of the Australian Association for the Advancement of Science, a member of the Royal Society of Tasmania, and a board member and president of the Mechanics' Institute. He was well-known as an amateur naturalist and was consulted as such by Henry Button. Mr Simson was also the inaugural vice-president of the Orpheus Orchestral Society formed in 1892.
Augustus married Jane Harriette Anne Eddie at the Holy Trinity Church, Launceston, on 7 Oct 1881. They had three sons and two daughters between 1882 and 1891. Augustus died aged 81 on 21 May 1918 and was buried at the Carr Villa Cemetery in Section B1 No. 210. Jane died aged 84 on 12 Sep 1942 and her remains were interred with her husband. Their two unmarried daughters, Dora and Janie, were also interred in the same plot. See The Examiner 14 Oct 2006, p. 35.