Edith Elizabeth Scott was born on 28 Aug 1857, the second daughter of the Hon. John Scott JP, brewer and parliamentarian (c.1828-1890) and Elizabeth Griffiths (1830-1918). Her mother was the eldest daughter of John Griffiths, brewer, of Dilston. Her father and husband were co-founders of Scott and Griffiths' Tamar Brewery, Esplanade, Launceston, brewers, maltsters and bottlers of Tasmanian ales and stout.
Edith Scott regularly paid the caretaker of the Church of England Cemetery in Cypress Street, Launceston, to maintain the Scott and Griffiths family vault. Edith moved to Victoria, where she died on 3 Aug 1940 at 451 Glenferrie Road, Malvern. Her brother Walter and sister Blanche are also pictured in the Launceston Family Album.