Thomas Pollard Sampson was born in Launceston, Tasmania, on 24 Jun 1875, the eldest child of Richard Sampson (c.1847-1917) and Caroline Elizabeth Pollard (1849-1945). Thomas' maternal grandfather William Blackett Pollard had brought his wife Sarah and family from Yorkshire, England, where he had been a teacher. Richard Sampson began in business working in the drapery establishment of Mrs Dunning in Brisbane Street. He then joined the firm of McKay and Martin which later became the well known firm of McKay, Sampson and McKinlay. He retired from there in 1913. Richard was a staunch supporter of the Paterson Street Methodist Church. He died suddenly on 15 March 1917 at his residence 'Dilkusha', Lyttleton Street, leaving his wife and four sons and three daughters to mourn his loss.
In 1891 Thomas was a pupil of AE Luttrell, architect, of Cameron Street, Launceston. Thomas exhibited an architectural drawing of a design for a villa residence in the Tasmanian Exhibition. He had been an apprentice for six months at that time. He was also a keen photographer and took many interesting photographs of Launceston. Thomas moved to Sydney where he practised as an architect for many years. In 1919 he partnered with Harold Minton Taylor, a solicitor, and purchased 'Rosebank House', Darlinghurst, and adjoining land. They demolished the original house and constructed several apartment blocks. He designed a number of houses that are now heritage listed, including 'Kama' at 16 Llandilo Avenue, Strathfield, and 'Romahapa' at 22-24 Martin Road, Centennial Park. Thomas Sampson was a member of the Concord Golf Club and in 1921 designed the clubhouse. He returned to Tasmania every year to visit his family and spend time at the family holiday home at Low Head.
Thomas married Clarice Effie Henderson on 17 Feb 1911 at St Philip's, Church Hill, Sydney. He died on 25 Jun 1961 at the Scottish Hospital, Paddington, NSW.