Charles Russen was born about 1850, a son of Capt. W Russen of Chelsea, England. Charles married Mary Barnard Long in Launceston on 5 May 1874, not long after he had arrived in Tasmania. They had nine children between 1875 and 1894, although at least four died young.
Charles established a bakery and confectionery factory of his own design in Wellington Road in 1874. He had a working bakery set up at the Tasmanian Exhibition in 1891-92. He also was a tenor in the Exhibition Choir. In 1897 he was awarded a gold medal for his exhibit at the Launceston Industrial Exhibition. He was mayor of Launceston in 1906, a member of the Legislative Council, a senior warden in the Masonic fraternity, a member of the Launceston Debating Society and of the Primitive Methodist Church.
Mary died on 11 Mar 1908 at their residence 'Cairn Brae', St John Street. On 7 Sep 1909 Charles married a second time, to Florence Mary Waters. She was born on 2 Jul 1871, a daughter of George William Waters and Sarah Jane Marriott. Charles died on 11 Dec 1914 aged 64 and was buried at Carr Villa in Section C 300 next to his first wife. His second wife Florence died aged 81 on 7 Jun 1952 and was buried with him.
His first wife Mary, two children Gertrude and Charles, and his future son-in-law Arthur Wright are also pictured in the Family Album.