Mrs Mary Ann Nicholas, nee Sidebottom, was born about 1839 and married Edward Nicholas in Victoria in 1860. Edward was born in Cornwall, England, the son of Collan Nicholas and his wife Elizabeth Martin. He was the first of five brothers and a sister to migrate to the colonies, arriving in Victoria during the gold rush period of the 1850s. He most likely spent some time mining for gold, but set himself up as a store-keeper in Creswick. Edward and Mary Ann had three daughters: Sarah, 1861; Eliza, 1863 and Amy, 1865. The family moved to Naseby, New Zealand, where four sons were born: Edward, 1867; James, George, 1871 and Cyril, 1881. The family moved to Tasmania with other members of the Nicholas family. By 1890 Edward had a china and glassware depot in Elizabeth Street, Launceston, but later kept a grocery store in Invermay Road.
Edward died aged 81 on 13 Jun 1917 at his residence in Queen Street, Invermay, and was privately interred at Carr Villa in Section C 113. It appears that after the death of her husband Mary Ann lived with her youngest son Cyril in Invermay Road. She died there on 5 Jul 1924 aged 85. She was privately interred with her husband and requested no mourning or flowers.
Mary Ann was a sister-in-law of Richard J Nicholas, the official photographer at the Tasmanian Exhibition in Launceston. Four of her children are in the Family Album: Amy, Edward, James and Cyril.