Richard Newey was born in Launceston on 4 Feb 1856, the second of seven children of Richard Newey (1826-1891), from Enfield, London, and his wife Amelia Eliza Pearce (1828-1909). Richard married Ann Scott on 10 May 1882 in the Port Sorell district. Their three children were born in Launceston: Jessie, 7 Jul 1883; Norman, 26 Apr 1885 and Basil, 14 Dec 1886.
Richard was co-manager of the family business established by his father in 1879. R Newey & Sons were seedsmen, hay and corn merchants and general storekeepers in George Street, Launceston. Their premises were opposite the old Custom House. An advertisement in the 1890-91 Post Office Directory states that their grass seed and seed corn was cleaned by special machinery. Chaff was cut by steam power on the premises, and screened free from all dust and impurities. By 1894 the business had moved to the corner of Charles and York Streets. They also had a nursery on the corner of Elphin Road and Claremont Street, with a fine collection of trees, plants and shrubs.
Richard died aged 73 on 23 Nov 1929 at his residence, 3 Cimitiere Street. He was buried at Carr Villa in the Presbyterian Section F1 No. 369. His wife Ann died aged 93 on 7 Oct 1947 and was buried with Richard.