Margaret Annabella Murray was born in Tasmania, the sixth daughter of David Murray (c.1787-1837) and Marion Carmichael (died on 8 Jan 1877 in her 76th year). There were several children of the marriage including Martha Lyne, David Murray MHA and Andrew Carmichael Murray. The parents and two eldest children arrived in Tasmania on the 'Portland' in 1824. David was a farmer at 'Twickenham', Macquarie River, and a wine merchant in Launceston.
At the time of the Tasmanian Exhibition in 1891-92, Margaret was principal of a ladies' school at 102 Tamar Street. The school existed for over 20 years from 1872. In 1890 the Post Office Directory advertised: 'The course of instruction comprises thorough English, Music, Singing, Drawing, Painting, French and Calisthenics. Pupils very successfully prepared for the Trinity College, London'. Margaret died at Longford on 23 Mar 1916 and was buried at the Charles Street General Cemetery in Launceston.
Margaret and her sister Martha Lyne bequeathed the income from their respective estates to one another and then to their niece Myra Murray who is also in the Album.