Thomas Muirhead was born on 17 May 1867, the third of ten children born to Scottish parents, James Muirhead, a farm servant at 'Mona Vale', Ross, and his wife Margaret McKenzie who were married there on 25 Nov 1862. Thomas was christened at the Kirklands Presbyterian Church, Macquarie River district. Educated at Evandale, he left school at the age of 12, and was engaged by the Hon. James Gibson at 'Belle Vue', Epping Forest, with whom he remained for 25 years. After the death of Mr Gibson in 1906, Thomas continued to manage the estate until its dispersal sale in 1928 when he and his brother George purchased a large number of stud sheep.
The brothers had bought 'Woodford' in 1898 and 'Stockwell' in 1911 and continued in partnership until 1932. Thomas then farmed stud sheep at 'Stewarton' on the Macquarie River, which he rented after vacating 'Clynevale' homestead. He regularly attended the Royal Sydney Show over a period of 49 years. Thomas was appointed a justice of the peace in 1920 and elected as a councillor of the Campbell Town municipality in 1923. He was the warden when, on 3 May 1935, he collapsed and died in the middle of an address during celebrations of the King's Jubilee in the Campbell Town State School. Thomas married Annie Collins at 'The Bend', Epping Forest, on 11 Apr 1895. They did not have any children.