Thomas Wilkes Monds was born in Launceston on 27 Jun 1829, the eldest of three children of Thomas Monds (1797-1838) and his wife Mary Ann Carden who were married in Launceston on 25 Jul 1827. Thomas senior emigrated to Van Diemen's Land in 1822. When Thomas junior was 12 years old he was among a party which walked overland to the River Mersey. He spent two years in the North-West in the sawmilling business. At 14 years of age he returned to Launceston where he took up an apprenticeship in the flour milling business. He worked alternately at the Supply River Mill on the West Tamar, the Bridge Mill in Launceston and at the North Esk Mill at Corra Linn. When his apprenticeship was ended he spent six months in Hobart, then returned to the Supply River Mill, the Cataract Hill and back to the Bridge Mill.
It was then that Thomas married Angelina Hall on 9 Jul 1852 at the Tamar Street Independent Chapel. In 1867 Thomas bought the Carrick Mills and was there for 22 years. Their eight children were born in Launceston, Corra Linn or Carrick between 1854 and 1873. TW Monds died aged 86 on 9 May 1916 at his residence at 177 St John Street. His funeral was at Christ Church and he was buried in the Charles Street General Cemetery. His long obituary states that his life 'was one truly and nobly spent'.
Thomas' wife, two daughters and brother-in-law James Fenton are also pictured in the Album.