John Clement Macmichael was born in Hobart on 17 Apr 1843 to William Thompson Macmichael and his wife Dinah Gatehouse who were married at New Town on 4 Jan 1834. John married Emily Elizabeth Lucas at St Paul's Anglican Church, Launceston, on 18 Jul 1877. They had four children, the first two in the St Marys area and by 1882 when John Cecil was born they were residing in Tamar Street, Launceston.
John was involved in mining ventures in Tasmania, Victoria and New Zealand. He was also engaged in agricultural pursuits, storekeeping and sharebroking. In Oct 1905 John conveyed land to the Church of England for the St Barnabas Church Hall at Newnham. John died aged 65 at his residence 'The Cedars', Newnham, on 27 Sep 1907 from typhoid fever. He was buried at Carr Villa in Section B No. 80. John's wife and all four children and his sister Eleanor Halstead and four of her daughters are pictured in the Launceston Family Album. See The Examiner 23 Sep 2006, p. 32.