William Brown Jory (Jorey) was born on 23 Mar 1838 at Lanteglos by Camelford, Cornwall, England, the second child of Thomas Jory (1811-1894), shoemaker, and Phillipa Brown (c.1810-1867). His siblings were Elizabeth, John, Mary and Phillipa. William married Emma Donmouth in Launceston, Tasmania, on 15 Sep 1863. He was a farmer at Kings Meadows at this time. They had 12 children: Mary Jane, born 1864; William Brown, 1865; John, 1867; Thomas Henry, 1869; Ernest Alfred, 1870; Elizabeth Ann, 1872; Arthur, 1874; Charles Henry, 1875; Frederick, 1877; Albert Joseph, 1879; Henry Walter, 1881 and Emma Letitia, 1883. His first wife Emma died on 28 May 1884 aged 40, leaving William with a large family.
It is assumed that William took in Catherine (Kate) Melville to keep house and care for the children. They had five children together: Ethel, 1886, Walter, 1890; Edward, 1893, Ada, 1894 and Eric Lewin, 1899. William and Kate married at 'Wellington Cottage' on 11 Sep 1901. He was a member of the Loyal Cornwall Lodge. In 1880 he formed a partnership with John Campbell to establish Jory & Campbell Steam Brick Works at Glen Dhu. John Campbell married William's eldest daughter Mary Jane in 1884. Jory & Campbell donated bricks to construct the Mineral Arch which was located at the main entrance to the Tasmanian Exhibition in 1891-92. William died aged 63 from throat cancer on 11 Jan 1902 at his home in Wellington Road, Launceston, and was buried at the Charles Street Cemetery. Kate died aged 91 on 12 Jul 1945.