This portrait of Mr Hollow is probably one of three older sons of John Hollow (1837-1893), the licensee of the Beaconsfield Hotel, and his wife Elizabeth Cullen (1839-1902). There were six sons in the family.
John Hollow was born in 1865 in Victoria. He was 26 at the time of the Tasmanian Exhibition in 1891. In 1914 and 1919 he was a miner at Balfour on the west coast of Tasmania.
Thomas Henry Hollow, born in Eldorado, Victoria, in 1870, married Elizabeth Hill at Hillgrove, NSW, in 1891. They returned to Beaconsfield where their first child, Gladys Adela, was born in 1892. Two more children were born in Lefroy: Constance Margaret in 1894 and Alice who died soon after birth in 1896. There were six more children born between 1903 and 1912 in Beaconsfield and Launceston. Four of these died young. The family then moved to Mt Nicholas, in the North-East mining region, where Thomas was an engine driver.
James Hollow was born in Eldorado, Victoria, in 1872. He was 19 at the time of the Exhibition. A miner, he married Hannah Chickley and had seven children. The youngest, Samuel, was born at Gormanston in 1907.