Mrs Mary Gunn was born in Launceston on 15 Jul 1846, the eighth of eleven children of ex-convict Isaiah Morris (1794-1873) and Elizabeth Best (c.1810-1884) who were married on 29 Jan 1834. Mary was the wife of Thomas Gunn, a founding partner with his brother John in the building firm J & T Gunn which was established in 1872. The firm exhibited building requisites at the Tasmanian Exhibition in 1891-92. They had also executed the stuccowork which ornaments the front and side walls of the Albert Hall and built the annexes which were used during the Exhibition. Employees of the firm took part in the opening parade.
Mary and Thomas married in Launceston on 17 Feb 1871. Of their nine children, who were born between 1871 and 1887, five survived to adulthood. They are all pictured in this Album: Frank, Hilda, Charlie, Eila and Winifred. Thomas Gunn died on 15 Aug 1910 aged 67. Mary died at her residence 'Carlowie', 39 Elphin Road, Launceston, on 3 Jul 1926, aged 79 years. She was buried privately at Carr Villa in Section E2 No. 117, next to her husband, whose remains were moved from a closed cemetery. Her sister Caroline Wilkinson, five of her children, niece Kate Gunn, and nephews Oswald Craw and Alfred Bonner are also pictured in the Launceston Family Album.