Charles Grace Greig was born in Hobart on 4 Oct 1834, the son of Scots John Greig (1802-1868) and his wife Anne Galloway (c.1802-1880). His parents had arrived in Hobart the year before his birth, in Oct 1833. His father ran a tailoring business. Charles was the first pupil enrolled at The Hutchins School in 1846. He went to the Victorian goldfields and then travelled to England to complete his education. He also visited Scotland and France. On his return he took over his father's business and married Mary Augusta Smales on 6 Jan 1863. Their first son John was born later that year but died aged 18 on 1 Nov 1881.
In 1873 the family moved to Launceston and Charles opened a tailoring and outfitting business in Brisbane Street, opposite the Launceston Hotel. Later he moved his business to 7 The Quadrant. The family lived at 94 York Street. In 1897 Charles' health deteriorated and he went to Melbourne for treatment where he died aged 62 on 18 Mar 1897. His funeral was held at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Launceston, and he was buried at the Scotch Cemetery in High Street. Mary and their three surviving children are also pictured in the Family Album. See The Examiner 1 Apr 2006, p.30.