George Crosby Gilmore, known by his second name, was born in Launceston on 7 Dec 1859, a son of Captain George Gilmore (1814-1884), master mariner, merchant, MHA, and his wife Margaret Elizabeth Chambers (1825-1897). The family lived in Bristol, England, from 1862-69. Crosby Gilmore was educated at Wesley College, Melbourne, Launceston Church Grammar School and Trinity College, Cambridge University (BA, LL.M). He was admitted to the Inner Temple as a Barrister-at-Law in Jun 1882, and to the Tasmanian Bar in Dec 1882. He practised in Launceston with WAB Birchall and MJ Clarke. After leaving Launceston he became a partner of CD Hoggins.
Crosby was MHA for George Town from 1893 to 1900, for Waratah from 1903-06 and attorney-general from 1904-06. He was a tenor in the Tasmanian Exhibition Choir of 1891-92. He was active in a number of organisations in the legal field, city councils, hospitals, library trust, Launceston Church Grammar School, the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institution and a co-founder of 'The Muffs' amateur dramatic club in 1889.
On 26 Apr 1898 at St John's Church, George Crosby Gilmore married Agnes Elizabeth Kayser, a daughter of HW Ferd Kayser JP, manager of Mount Bischoff Tin Mining Co., of 'Waratah House', York Street, Launceston. Crosby and Agnes had a daughter Nona in 1899 and a son Stanton in 1902. 'Crosby Lodge', the former Gilmore home, opened as the Launceston Homoeopathic Hospital on 1 Jul 1900.
George Crosby Gilmore died aged 77 on 15 Jan 1937 in Hobart.