Alexander Richard Fowler was born on 19 Sep 1847 at Royal Leamington Spa, England. His parents were Elizabeth Gilks and Alfred Fowler, a civil engineer, and later a builder and cabinet-maker. Alfred migrated to Tasmania in 1851, while Elizabeth and her two sons, Henry and Alex arrived on the Sir Allan McNab in Oct 1853. Two daughters and a son William were born in Launceston. Alfred and Henry were lost at sea in Oct 1866 when they were heading for the North-West Coast with a load of timber.
Alex established a timber business in 1870; his brother William later joined him as a partner. Alex was a Rector's warden, Sunday school teacher and superintendent for more than 20 years at the Holy Trinity Church. The Fowler family gave the Church land at Inveresk to build a Mission Hall, a rectory and later the Holy Family Church.
In Jan 1893 Alexander was first elected to the House of Assembly. He became the chairman of the Launceston Chamber of Commerce, president of the Launceston Mechanics' Institute and was on the Board of Management of the Launceston Public Library. He was also president of the Launceston Savings, Investment and Building Society. Alex died on 22 Jul 1911 at St Georges Avenue, Invermay. He was buried at Carr Villa in Section B 40. See The Examiner 16 Jun 2007, page 39.