Bayard Hazelwood Edgell was born at Franklin Village, Tasmania, on 19 Feb 1877, the youngest son of Henry Edgell and his wife Charlotte Packer Gordon. His parents were married on 25 Apr 1865 at Hunters Hill, NSW. Henry was an alderman for the Launceston City Council and a member of the General Committee for the Tasmanian Exhibition of 1891-92. As a 14-year-old student, Bayard and his friend Vernon Lawrence, displayed mineral and geological specimens at the Exhibition. Bayard was educated at the Launceston Church Grammar School. He was employed at the Union Bank of Australia, before obtaining four years' farming work at 'Strathroy', near Evandale, and at large stations in NSW. In 1903 Bayard returned to Tasmania and rented the grazing and farming property 'Meander Rise' near Carrick. About ten years later he formed a partnership with PO Fysh, as Fysh and Edgell. The company acquired 'Dennistoun', 'The Hermitage' and other properties in the Bothwell district. After the death of PO Fysh in 1922, HP Harrison and W von Bibra bought his share.
Bayard Edgell married Hannah Ethel Gibson, the daughter of WH Gibson of 'Fairfield', Epping. Their three children were born in Launceston. Henry, the second son, died in Melbourne in 1929 when only 19 years old. He, his parents and brother had recently returned from a world tour. Bayard took part in public affairs: he was a councillor and warden of the Bothwell municipality; an active member of the Tasmanian Farmers', Stockowners' and Orchardists' Association from its inception in 1908; a delegate to many interstate conferences and, as chairman of the State Meat Advisory Board, Bayard instigated the export of fat lambs.
Bayard's sister Nellie (Mabel Ellen) is also in the Album. Bayard's brother Robert Gordon Edgell founded his vegetable canning business in 1926, which prospered in spite of the depression and became a well-known Australian company.
After his wife Hannah's death on 3 Oct 1947, Bayard married Dorothy Pixley. Bayard died on 25 Apr 1949 at 'Dennistoun' and was buried at the Bothwell Cemetery with his first wife Hannah and son Henry. See The Examiner 31 Mar 2007, page 37.