George Theophilus Eddie was born in Launceston on 29 Jan 1856, the eldest of five children born to George McKenzie Eddie (1818-1886) and Charlotte Martha Fogg (1827-1922) who were married in the Lefroy district in Jan 1855. George was educated at the Launceston Church Grammar School and in 1877 was apprenticed to surveyor James Hurst in North-East Tasmania.
After three years he went to New Zealand where he completed his surveying studies in 1880. He returned to Tasmania and undertook surveying work throughout the state. He was involved with the construction of railway lines, mines, electric power and water schemes and the Port of Launceston at Bell Bay. As well as having his private practice, George was Government District Surveyor for the East Tamar and a member of the Surveyor's Board of Examiners.
George married 19-year-old Laura Jane Chamberlain Hardwicke on 6 Aug 1889 at 'Glen Fern' at Lower Pipers River, in the home of her father Thomas Hardwicke. Their four children were born between 1890 and 1905. The family lived at the Eddie home in Invermay until it was sold in 1923 after the death of George's 95-year-old mother Charlotte. George built a new home at 6 Erina Street, East Launceston. They also had a property, 'Blackwood Hills', at Rowella on the West Tamar. George died on 2 Jun 1926 at the Nauru Hospital in George Street, Launceston. The funeral left from his sister Jane Simson's house at 43 High Street and he was buried at Carr Villa. His wife and brother John and sister Ann are also in the Launceston Family Album.