Frank Dean was born in Launceston on 22 Oct 1864, the fourth of eight children of George Dean (about 1829-1916) and his wife Janet or Jannette Ferguson (1837-1889). His father was a pastrycook and confectioner, owning Dean's Bakery in Brisbane Street. Frank was educated at William Hogg's school. He married Laura Stewart, a widow with three children, on 16 Oct 1907 at St John's Church, Launceston. They had one son Frank, who was born on 27 Oct 1909 and died Aug 1980.
Frank senior was appointed as a clerk at the Launceston Post Office in Jan 1879 and was promoted to the position of Superintendent of Mails before being transferred to Hobart in 1924. After 50 years' service he retired and took a keen interest in his orchard on the Tamar. He was an avid sportsman with interests in cycling, golf and yachting. Frank's wife Laura died on 29 Nov 1945 and was cremated at Carr Villa, western wall C16. Frank died at 'Walmarie', Trevallyn, on 17 Jun 1948 aged 83 and was cremated at Carr Villa, western wall C21. He was survived by his son Frank and three stepchildren, Laura, Selby and Plaister Stewart. Other family members in the Launceston Family Album include the names Ferguson, Weetman and Windeatt.