William George Cumings was born in 1869 at St Pancras, London, to Ebenezer Cumings (1839-1914), house decorator and photographer, and his wife Caroline Harslett (1829-1912). His siblings were May, born in 1863 and John Richard, 1866-1887, both born in Queensland and Minnie, 1870-1953 and Harriet Mary, 1873-1946 both born in London. The family arrived in Victoria in March 1887 on the Oroya. William was a commercial artist working for The Examiner and The Daily Telegraph. He created the railway employees' banner which is now held at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery. His interests included yachting and membership of the Tamar Rowing Club. He died on 11 Sep 1914 aged 45 at the residence of his sister Harriet and brother-in-law H S Joscelyne, 'Roxeth', Delamere Rd, Trevallyn. He is buried at Carr Villa B55 next to his parents. His sisters Minnie and Harriet are also pictured in the Family Album.