Lloyd Eld Chambers
Lloyd Eld Chambers
Date of Birth 22 March 1863
Place of Residence Launceston Tasmania Australia
Spouses Name Regina Evelyn Mary Mundy
Childrens Names Lloyd

This is possibly Lloyd Eld Chambers who was born at ‘The Parsonage’, Cullenswood, on 22 Mar 1863, the eldest child of 13 of Rev. John Chambers and Fanny Rudge who were married in Longford on 19 Jun 1862. Lloyd was educated at the Launceston Church Grammar School and entered the Crown Law Department as a junior clerk in 1876. He attained the position of Clerk to the Department in 1880, before resigning the following year in order to study law. He became managing clerk to Mr J Powell, solicitor, of Launceston, under whom he served his articles. He was admitted to the Bar on 24 Aug 1886 and became a partner in the legal firm of Powell, Lethbridge and Chambers, practising in Hobart and Launceston until the dissolution of the partnership in 1891.

Lloyd then accepted the office of Council Clerk at Oatlands and in in 1899 was appointed to the position of Bench Clerk at Hobart. In 1901 he was appointed Commissioner of Courts and Police Magistrate at Queenstown and Gormanston and a Coroner and Justice of the Peace. In 1903 he assumed the jurisdiction of the whole of the Western Division and moved his headquarters to Zeehan. His next move was to Devonport in 1908 as Commissioner and Police Magistrate for the North-Western Division. He was promoted to the position of Solicitor-General and Grand Jury for the State of Tasmania. He was also the chairman of the Mining Board until 1929. He was appointed Kings Counsel in 1927. His interests included horticulture and playing bowls and he was a member of the Tasmania Club.

On 23 Apr 1889 Lloyd married Regina Evelyn Mary Mundy in Hobart. They had one son Lloyd, who died the day he was born on 13 Jan 1894. Regina died aged 61 in Apr 1928 and was buried at Cornelian Bay. After 31 years of continuous Government service Lloyd took six months’ leave and was aboard the Nieuw Holland on his way to Singapore when he became ill with cerebro-spinal meningitis. He died in a hospital in Singapore on 10 Jul 1930. The furniture and effects of his home at ‘Lorne’, 17 Rupert Avenue, New Town, were auctioned in Sep 1930. His youngest brother Vere Isham Chambers was his only surviving family.

Marion Sargent Oct 2011