Edmund Button was born on 5 Feb 1864 in Invercargill, New Zealand, the elder son of Charles Stammers Button (1828-1907) and his wife Mary Rout (1831-1915). The family returned to Launceston in 1867 when Edmund was three years old. He later was apprenticed to Williamson and Thomas, a drapery store in Brisbane Street, Launceston. He then joined his father in the manufacture of aerated waters at Ellesmere, near Scottsdale, and subsequently took over the business in 1895.
Edmund married his first wife Fanny Tucker on 5 Feb 1886 at the residence of the bride's father Thomas Tucker at Scottsdale but she died in 1896. Edmund visited New Zealand where he married his second wife Bertha Rout, third daughter of James Rout, of Te Papapa, on 6 Oct 1899 at the Congregational Church, Onehunga. Their only son, Tasman Charles, was born in Scottsdale on 16 Dec 1904 and became a solicitor in Devonport. They also had four daughters: Edna Lena, Nancy Harriet, Freda Bertha and Mildred Mary.
Edmund was active in public life from 1891. Among other interests, he was appointed to the Scottsdale Town Board and became the first warden of the Scottsdale Municipality in 1908. Shortly afterwards he was appointed as council clerk and held this position until 1934 and again from 1939 until 1944. He was secretary of the North-Eastern Municipal League from 1919 to 1934 and was on the 'Come to Tasmania' committee. He was also a coroner and justice of the peace. Edmund died aged 82 on 30 May 1946 as a result of head injuries that he received while alighting from a moving tram at Sandy Bay in Hobart. He was cremated at Cornelian Bay, Hobart, and his remains were returned to Carr Villa, Launceston. His wife Bertha had died in Jun 1945 aged 75.