Joseph Brandwood was born about 1854, a son of Henry Brandwood. Joseph married Annie Maria Reynolds on 23 May 1874 at the Wesleyan Church, Adelaide. Their first three children were born in South Australia: Edward Henry, 15 Jan 1875; Annie Maude, born 22 Apr 1877, died aged eight on 3 Aug 1885; and Joseph Ernest, born on 11 Feb 1880. Another daughter, Lucy Grovent, was born in Launceston on 17 Jan 1891. Joseph Ernest is also pictured in the Family Album.
At the Tasmanian Exhibition of 1891-92 Joseph Brandwood exhibited ovens and portable coppers made by himself, and fire and burglar-proof safes. His occupation was described as an importer and his business was located at 155 Brisbane Street, Launceston. By 1896 Joseph was a cycle engineer. A couple of years later the business expanded even more with an office at 160 Brisbane Street.
By 1903 Joseph and family had moved to Hackney, South Australia, where he continued to build bicycles. The business in Launceston, Joseph Brandwood & Co., was run by Jakeh Wearne and George S Geard until about 1905. They imported bicycles and bicycle parts and all accessories. They made the renowned 'Brandwood' cycle, built from the best English parts. The company manufactured wrought iron fire and thief-proof safes, strong-room doors and frames. They continued to make coppers, ranges and ovens, iron tanks, garden seats, cemetery railings and all general iron work. By 1904 they also imported motors and had a showroom and office at 98 Charles Street. The 1906 Post Office Directory indicates that the business was then known as Wearne and Geard cycle manufacturers.