Arthur Joshua Beaumont was born on 11 Jun 1874, the eldest of eight children of Joshua Beaumont (c.1844-1912), confectioner, and Emma Louisa Wathen (1848-1920). The Beaumont Brothers, wholesale and retail confectioners, had their business premises at 140 Charles Street, Launceston. A lithograph of the building was published in the Daily Telegraph in Nov 1891 as a poster promoting the Tasmanian Exhibition. Arthur's seven brothers and sisters were: William Hales, born 1875; Edith Eliza, 1877; Kate Marion, 1880; Frederick, 1882; Charles, 1885; Myra Margaret, 1887 and Lina Clare, 1890.
Educated in Launceston, Arthur was employed at the Hatton and Laws pharmacy and qualified as a chemist. For some time he was a partner in the firm Mandall & Beaumont, Chemists, in Balfour Street, and also a dispenser at the United Friendly Societies' dispensary. In about 1920 he took over Lithgow's pharmacy at 136 Charles Street. He was an enthusiastic bowler and was president of the South Launceston Bowling Club.
Arthur married Ruby Adams on 30 Apr 1908 at 'Wisbech', the residence of the bride's parents in Melbourne. Their three children were all born in Launceston: Max Adams, 7 May 1910; Alan Joshua, 9 May 1913 and Elma Edith, 2 May 1918. Max qualified as a chemist and worked in his father's business. He celebrated his 100th birthday in May 2010.
Arthur Beaumont died suddenly aged 59 at his residence 'Reeatta', Bain Terrace, Trevallyn, on 17 Apr 1934 and was buried at Carr Villa in Section F1 No. 211. His wife Ruby died on 22 May 1937 and was buried with him.