William Henry Davies (Harry) Archer was the eldest son of William Archer (1783-1879) and his wife Caroline Harrison (1804-1862). He was born at 'Brickendon' on 13 Nov 1836 and was educated at the Rev. David Boyd's Longford Grammar School, Hawke's School at Franklin Village, Bonchurch College on the Isle of Wight and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he obtained a law degree. He was admitted to the Middle Bar on 1 Nov 1858. He was elected a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, London, in 1860 and was a member of the New University Club, St James, London.
William Archer returned to the family property at 'Brickendon' where he was renowned as a breeder of high class Merino sheep. He was active in local and state government, the church and rural organizations. He was appointed as a territorial magistrate in 1869, and coroner in 1883. He served as a councillor for the Longford Municipality for 22 years from 1872. He was elected as warden in 1881, a position he held for 17 years. He was a member of the House of Assembly from 1882-1887. He was a vice-president of the Tasmanian Internatioanl Exhibition of 1891-92. Harry Archer married Aphra Gertrude Clerke, the fifth daughter of Alexander Clerke of 'Mountford', Longford, on 31 Aug 1881 at St John's Church, Launceston, when he was 44 years old. He died on 10 Jun 1928 and was buried in the family vault at Christ Church, Longford.